Adoptive Parent Requirements
Many international countries have their own requirements for individuals interested in adopting. In this program, you must be:
- 25 – 50 years old, married, single, or same sex couples
- Maximum 45 years older than the child
- Married for at least 2 years
- 1 divorce per person allowed
- If unmarried, 2 years co-habitation
- No criminal history
- Healthy. No significant psychological or physical health concerns or history; limited depression and anxiety
- Singles may adopt a child of any age with moderate to severe special needs, a child age 10 or older, or sibling groups of 2-3 or more.
- Must meet 125% of the US poverty guidelines based on household size
- Children under 7 years of age with special needs
- Healthy school/age children
- Sibling groups
- Approved Adoption Study Report – 3-6 months
- Dossier – 1-3 months
- Referral – 12-36 months
- Travel – 4-6 weeks after referral
- Stay In Colombia – Up to 8 weeks
- Progress reporting – 24 months after placement
Traveling to Colombia
Adoptive parents will travel to Colombia for a stay of up to 8 weeks. One parent may return home after 3 – 4 weeks. A liaison will assist with your translations and appointments.
A visit, report, and photos are required at 1, 6, 12, 18, and 24 months after returning home with your child.
Age: You & Your Child
- 25-50 years old; single child age 0-59 months or sibling group with the oldest child age 0-6 years 11 months
- 46-50 years old; single child age 5-9 years or sibling group with the oldest child age 7 years and older
- Single adopters 45-50 years old; children age 10 and older
Colombia is a signatory to the Hague Convention on Inter- country adoption. Children receive an IH-3 visa in their passport prior to entering the United States. Upon arrival, the child officially becomes a US citizen.
Families receive a full and final adoption in Colombia. Families need to file the adoption in the local court, depending on their state of residence.
To Apply for this Program
Fill out an application by clicking the button below. Note: For families located in Minnesota, please review the document, titled “Completing an Adoption in MN” before applying. For all other questions, Contact Us.