Our mission is to build and strengthen cultural competency and awareness by providing parents with workshops facilitated by National Scholars, experienced parents, and educators from around the State and Country who give the tools that these special families need to raise happy, healthy, and culturally competent children into adults who will continue to change the world for the better.
WHO DO WE SERVE?
- Minnesota Residents in any of the 87 counties or families who adopted or are fostering through a Minnesota-based agency.
- Children and teens of African/African American descent who are adopted or in foster or kinship care.
- Siblings in families with children of African/African American descent who are adopted or in foster or kinship care.
- Parents who are raising children of African/African America descent through adoption, foster or kinship care, regardless of the parent’s own ethnic or cultural identity.
Parent workshops have included topics on…
- Parental Advocacy in and out of the classroom
- Parenting with a trauma informed lens
Child and youth workshops have included topics on…
- Hair, skin and nails DIY
- Math & science exploration
- American History rediscovered
TEACHERS AND VOLUNTEERS NEEDED!
MEET THE EDUCATION TEAM!
Contact UMOJA MN!
Thank you to all of our parents, children and youth, volunteers, teachers, presenters and vendors!
Whether looking to join as a contractor or as a volunteer, the UMOJA MN Team offers the unique opportunity to model, create, implement and deliver high-quality programming and excellent educational experiences based on African American culture and history to African American adopted and foster youth in the MN community.
UMOJA MN is looking for African American focused local artists, crafters, and businesses that want to get in on the fun at UMOJA MN camps and events by tabling to showcase your work, products or services. Organizations and colleges looking to resources and program information are also strongly encouraged to join!