October 16-18, 2020, Virtual Camp.
Together we will explore our theme: "Tell me who I am - Unity in our Diversity"
About UMOJA MN
UMOJA MN is a culturally enriching camp for individuals and families who are raising African American kinship, adoptive, and foster care youth. This three-day camp is designed to give every member of your household an experience to bond with other families, engage in hands-on activities, and develop cultural competence and awareness of one’s own identity and view about difference.
UMOJA is a Swahili word that means “unity.” UMOJA MN unites families by providing culturally inclusive programming that acknowledges and celebrates African American heritage and identity.
Elements of UMOJA MN Camps:
- Youth conferences that include networking, leadership skills, and mentorship opportunities
- Parent empowerment workshops, seminars, and networking
- African American heritage performances and lessons (i.e. dance, drumming)
- Art and DIY workshops
- Virtual classrooms with fun, hands-on learning activities for kids
Everyone: Parents, Kids, Volunteers, Educators, Vendors, and Presenters
- Learn to embrace racial identities and cultural experiences
- Become inspired, and “fired up” to learn more
- Feel empowered
- Able to respond better to their children’s needs
- Able to advocate for a child’s personal, developmental, and education needs
- Able to resolve cultural conflict
- Find strengths
- Be knowledgeable and proud of their heritage
- Able to use their own voice and become a self-advocate
- Inspired to become changemakers
- Find strengths
Contact UMOJA MN!
UMOJA MN Menu
Join Our Email List!
This project is funded through a grant from the Minnesota Department of Human Services.