Summer Fun Family Activities
SHARE THIS ARTICLE:
Summer Fun Family Activities… with quarantine in mind.
This time has proven to be challenging for many families as routines and “normal” have been flipped upside down. With having to figure out how to balance working/not working, helping with schoolwork, being a parent, a partner, and taking care of ourselves and finding ways to stay entertained and busy, it can be overwhelming. It is hard to think of new ways to “mix it up” or add variety to the routine when most days look and feel the same…staying home.
For some families, quarantine has created more space for spending time together as the fast-paced life that most of us lead has slowed significantly. Not as much time is spent commuting, traveling, running errands, etc. Many of us have asked ourselves:
What do I do with all this spare time?
How can I keep my kids and family busy when we can’t do some of our favorite activities?
How can we have a fun summer when we are in the middle of a quarantine?
Here are some fun creative ideas you and your family can enjoy this summer during this unprecedented time.
FUN SUMMER INDOOR ACTIVITIES
- Create an “around the house” scavenger or treasure hunt
- Build a cardboard box fort
- Explore museums, art, theater, and culture at home – HERE
- Rent an E-book
- Visit your favorite animals via live cam at the San Diego Zoo, Monterey Bay Aquarium, etc.
- Go virtual sightseeing
-Take a virtual tour of parks like Yosemite or take a virtual tour of Ireland! – HERE
- Celebrities reading children’s books – HERE
- Listen to live concerts virtually – HERE
- Educational virtual activities – HERE
- Do a science experiment
- Cook a new recipe
– Create your own cooking show and make a video making your favorite recipe to share with friends and family
– Homemade pizzas are fun and allow for creativity
– Make homemade ice cream
- Bake some yummy treats (cookies, muffins, etc.)
- Do a fun art project (painting, coloring, collages, make slime, etc.)
- Learn a new hobby; origami, jewelry making, etc.
- Have an indoor picnic
- Zoom/Facetime family gatherings/hang out
- Play virtual games (house party, etc.)
- Take a virtual ride on a roller coaster – HERE
- Pull out those board games or card games and have a family game night
– At-home read-aloud bingo
– Put together a puzzle
– Create your own board game!
- Have a family movie night with treats and popcorn
- Have a spa day (paint nails, play around with makeup, etc).
- Join a Facebook Live dance party or workout
- Write a letter or draw a picture and send it to a family member or friend by snail mail. It will be a nice surprise!
- Make your own playdough – HERE
- Set up indoor hopscotch with painter’s tape
- Play dress-up
- Learn a new language
- Make a vlog on Youtube/Tiktok videos
FUN SUMMER OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES
- Surprise a friend or family member with a car parade. This is a great way to celebrate someone’s birthday at this time
- Go for a walk or bike ride in your neighborhood or check out a new spot to explore nature
- Have a campout in the grass or an outdoor space near home; get out the tent and sleeping bags, and roast marshmallows over the stove or a firepit
- Make your favorite picnic food or order from your favorite takeout place and set up a picnic in a grassy area or sidewalk near home
- Learn about the different animals or insects you see in your yard or in the neighborhood
- Do an outdoor project
– Make a homemade bird feeder with peanut butter and birdseed
– Grow a flower, vegetable, or herb garden (an herb garden can be grown inside too!)
- Create an outdoor obstacle course and race to see who can finish the course the fastest!
- Go fishing locally
- Idea rocks: Paint a fun activity idea on a rock and place in different locations that other families may pass to give them an idea of new things to try
- Have a water balloon fight or play water balloon baseball
– Place the sprinkler under a trampoline or place water balloons on the trampoline to cool off
- Play shaving cream twister
- Fly a kite
- Blow bubbles
- Run through the sprinkler
- Set up a screen/projector and have an “outdoor movie night” or set up a tablet in the car and pretend you’re at the drive-in
- Setup a mini-golf course in a nearby grassy area or yard
- Decorate the driveway or sidewalk with chalk
- Make a sensory box filled – HERE
- Create a science experiment
- Play “tennis” with clean flyswatters and balloons
- Make bean bags and play games – HERE
- Paint with ice cubes – HERE
- Create salt fireworks and shaving cream fireworks prints for the 4th of July – HERE
- Stargaze from the room
- Make a playlist of new tunes for your summertime soundtrack
- Write and perform a play or skit. Film and share with family and friends on Tiktok
- Relax in a hammock
Article was written by:
Laura Abrass, MSW, LICSW
Mental Health Therapist
EVOLVE Family Services
100+ Fun Things to Do at Home Right Now, From Virtual Tours to Animal Cams and More
100+ Things for Teens to Do This Summer
250+ Creative Ways to Keep Your Family Sane During the COVID-19 Crisis
Avoid Cabin Fever With These 125 Ideas to Keep Kids Entertained During the Coronavirus
Safe and Fun Outdoor Activities During Coronavirus Pandemic
Scouting at Home